MOUNTAIN GORILLA POPULATION IN UGANDA.
Mountain gorillas where on the verge of extinction and thus categorized as critically endangered species on the planet, the remaining population of these primates is shared among three countries found in Eastern Africa that is; Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo. Research has shown that the consistent increase in the mountain gorilla population is a result of the intensive daily protection provided by the national park authorities of the respective countries and conservation organizations.
Scientists believe there are now at least 1,063 mountain gorilla population living in the wild, a sign that conservation efforts are working thus giving credit to conservation bodies and governments upon the achievement in areas where they are hosted and protected.
The current mountain gorilla population in Bwindi holds half of all mountain gorillas in the world with a tune of about 469, thus its importance for the global survival of these great apes cannot be overstated. Many mountain gorilla groups have been habituated to human presence and are a major tourist draw.
Upon the survey conducted in 2018 the team counted 459 mountain gorillas in these regions, up from the 400 individuals that were estimated to exist in a 2011 survey.
Reasons why you should include Gorilla tracking on your safari while in Uganda.
- Safety-it is safer and affordable to do the gorilla tracking safari in Uganda given the fact the gorilla permit here costs USD700 per person per trek, $500 for foreign residents and 250,000shs for east Africa residents compared to Rwanda which is USD1500 and DR Congo which is USD400 but unstable.
- Less congested– each group visited per day visitors are limited to 8 people per trek however before trekking is reached, the gorilla groups to be visited should have previously undergone what is termed as gorilla habituation exercise a process which takes between 2-3 years which involves teaching the primates how to relate to human beings in a non-violent way once you encounter them on the trek and this is done by experienced ranger guides coupled with a team of researchers.
- Gorilla tracking is considered as an experience because it gives you a once in a lifetime experience to encounter with the mountain Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park with close proximity and at a free non-violent environment.
- Level of organization– Bwindi/Mgahinga gorilla groups are organized according to the location; Buhoma area currently having 4 groups, Ruhija area currently having 4 groups, Nkuringo area group having 2 Gorilla groups (One group for habituation experience only) and Rushaga area having 5 groups (One group for habituation experience only) and Nyakagezi Family in Mgahinga National Park.
- Great chances of accessibility– an encounter to mountain gorillas is one sure deal experiences that visitors who choose to undertake the experience can’t miss on the safari unless one is not in good health. Chances of meeting these gentle apes in their natural habitat are 95% unlike wildlife safaris where chances of meeting different animals in the wilderness are at times predictable.
- Refund where need be-Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) shall refund 50% tracking fee, if the visitor fails to track due to illness, this will be at recommendation of the Warden in Charge and this clause only applies to visitors who have already tracked Bwindi impenetrable forest national park or Mgahinga Gorilla National park.
- Quick permit booking-Uganda Wildlife Authority introduced online booking for gorilla and chimpanzee permits for both travelers and registered tour operators where you can as well send an email to Uganda Wildlife Authority headquarters where you can get through different procedures until you make you’re booking after their response.
Why book your safari with Safari Vacations & Travel Services Ltd.
Safari Vacations & Travel Services is one of the registered local companies to operate tour and travel business. With the experience in the field all knowledge pertaining activities and attractions in Uganda and Rwanda are on our fingertip and pledge to work with you in accordance to your budget for your planned safari. Given our trip advisor and safari booking we exercise high level of professionalism while handling client’s inquiries to better serve them and thus our travel consultants will be ready to offer you relevant and accurate information for your safari.